Contents

I. Introduction

II. Setting a password

III. Setting a bank PIN

IV. Setting a password recovery

V. Where

VI. Spywares

I. Introduction

You want your account to be safe? You want your items safe? Then you should read this guide, this guide will help you NOT to get hacked.

II. Setting a password

Yes, one of the most important aspects to keep your account safe. I think this is old, but you should tell absolute NO ONE your password, not even your best friend irl, not even Jagex staffs, because Jagex staffs will NEVER ask for your password or anything related to it. Also don't use the same password as you use it on other fourms and sites.

Also, you may want to set a password that is really hard to guess. Use combinations of numbers and letters, also space bars if possible. Make the password long and be able to type it using both hands. Do not use numbers alone and do not use things like your birthday, name, and other easy to get personal information. It’s the best that you come up with a word created by yourself, or your personal saying, or use foreign language words that use letters. Make it unique!

III. Setting a bank PIN

Jagex released this awesome anti-hacking feature not long ago, to set a bank PIN, log into RS and talk to any banker to set a PIN. PIN stands for Personal Identify Number. You should ALWAYS have a bank PIN, even if your passwords get stolen, your bank can still be safe because of your PIN. Even though you can’t be hacked by someone only knows your bank PIN, you still should not give this away to anyone.

So set a good hard to guess bank PIN, don’t use numbers like 1337, 1111, 2222, 1234, ect… Also DON’T use numbers that’s related to your birthday, ect… Use numbers like the last 4 or the first 4 digits of your personal combination lock, or like a combination of your favorite numbers.

IV. Setting a password recovery

To set password recovery, you have to find a link on RS main page that says “Set password recovery” I suggest make questions and answers that make absolute no sense at all. Questions like, “OMG I like cheese! Do u?” or “Are you a noob?”. But instead, you put totally random answers like “asdfjkh234” or “218jdh8yfdshi”. How am I gonna remember them you ask? You write it down of course! You write down the answers on a piece of paper using a pen (pencil marks can come off easily). Then you store the piece of paper somewhere in your bedroom, it’s a good idea to make multiple copies. Try not to save it on your computer or memory disks or sticks.

V. Where

Where involves where you play RS, avoid playing in public areas like in a public library. Because someone could have installed spyware on it and you wouldn’t notice. Also someone might be staring at your keyboard while you type your password or clicking on your bank PIN. If you must play in a public area, always look around before you type your password. Type your passwords at the same time while looking around if possible. You should also do the something with bank PIN. Once I did the first two numbers of my bank PIN when my friend was watching me, I didn’t even realize. ph34r.gif

VI. Spywares

Do not download anything related to RS from any unofficial website. They may contain spywares like keylogger to steal your password.

Run spyware check once in a while to make sure your computer is spyware free. A good spyware kill program I use is called SpyBot.

You can download it here: http://www.spybot.com/en/mirrors/index.html

Its absolute free and you can use it as long as you want. For information on how it works, look on the site.

Also, when ever you log in, check the IP address found at the top of the welcome screen. It should be the same every time if you use the same computer every time. If its not and it looks odd to you, run spyware check immediately. If you found a keylogger or such, kill it and THEN change your password.

A hacker might not know your bank PIN but know your password, so the hacker might be waiting for you to take out valuable items and log out. Then they can steal the items. Another reason you should bank your valuable items every time you stop playing for the day.

So yeah, I hope this guide helped you.

Thanks for reading.

user posted imageSong712user posted image

Edited by Song712

might wanna add that if you know a foreign language, and most of your friends dont know much about it, put something slang, or something you like on TV from there? smile.gif

Also, for writing the answer, put it on Notepad, then copy to Memory Stick, if you can? biggrin.gif

Otherwise, v useful, and good reminder for what Jagex have said biggrin.gif

might wanna add that if you know a foreign language, and most of your friends dont know much about it, put something slang, or something you like on TV from there? smile.gif

Also, for writing the answer, put it on Notepad, then copy to Memory Stick, if you can? biggrin.gif

Otherwise, v useful, and good reminder for what Jagex have said biggrin.gif

lol a memory stick can be very expensive and you dont wanna use it just for your recovery question. also if you use it often, someone might steal it from you.

Good suggestion on the foreign language, thx.

user posted imageSong712user posted image

oooh dorny ill b asking about slang french phrases then tongue.gif

like the guide tho!!!

For password you may wish to remind people to create unique passwords. Meaning do not use the same password for forums, rs, or any other place you need them.

Also never brag about how rich you are. Usually they are only after items and gp and if you have them it makes you a target.

~dragon~

Guest J36miles

Another idea is to change your password and pin once in a while. This makes if fresh in your head and people can't predicit what the next one is going to be.

i suggest useing firefox.com

and avoid these spywear programs

DONT CLICK ON THESE THEY HAVE SPY WEAR!

freewebs

cokemusic

and just about every 18+ website

Dont avoid spyware programs. Spyware can get through firefox too.

Firefox is overall safer than IE, but it blocks rs music. If you usually play low detail, go firefox. If you play high detail, download the OFFICIAL rs client and play on that.