Smithing guide 2.0

Lokiri

Forenote: This is a guide written by yours trully on how to smith. The requirements for smithing are quite simple, all you need are ores, a furnace, a hammer, and an anvil.

Table of contents:

To quickly access the part of this guide you are searching for, simply use the find on this page tool, which can be accessed by pressing Ctrl+F and typing in the numbers next to the section you are looking for.

Section One

1.1 Ways to smelt

1.2 Locations of furnaces

1.3 Locations of anvils

Section Two

2.1 Smelting information

2.2 Smithing information Bronze

2.3 Smithing information Iron

2.4 Smithing information Steel

2.5 Smithing information Mithril

2.6 Smithing information Adamantite

2.7 Smithing information Runite

Section Three

3.1 Tricks of the trade

3.2 Blast furnace

3.3 Random smithing info

Section Four

4.1 List of future updates

4.2 Credits

1.1 Smelting: What the word smelting means is to fuse the ore/ores in to a bar. This can be done in a few ways in runescape. You have the regular ways of smelting, using a furnace, you can use superheat item, Which requires level 43 magic along with a nature rune and four fire runes. you can also use a blast furnace, located in keldagrim. It takes half the coal it normally would for smelting steel, mith, addamantite, and runite bars.

At level 15 smithing, you can smelt iron. Iron is the only ore that requires no second material in order to smelt the bar. To combat this, iron has a 50% success rate at level 15 smithing. Every level you gain until 45 will increase your success rate by 1%, up to a total of 80%

1.2 Where the furnaces are located:

Free play:

Lumbridge; located north of the castle, with the closest bank being inside the castle. Not usefull for large trips.

Falador; Located just north of the falador castle and to the east of the pub, this furnace is the second best free play furnace in the game. Also, dwarven stout can be purchased from the pub to increase your smithing level, making this spot usefull if you need an extra level to smelt your ores.

Al kharid; This specific furnace is one of the most well known furnaces due to it's close proximity to a bank. You will still be using this furnace even as a member until you complete the varrock achievement diary or gain access to the port phasmatys forge.

Wilderness level 28; Usefull for smelting your ores if you are mining in the wilderness at the hob goblin mine, or if you want to create rune bars while your mining them. Considering the danger when in the wilderness either due to revenants or player killers, it is suggested that one simply bring the runes for superheat item. Still, this is a cheaper alternative to that. Located east of the hob goblin mines.

Members only furnaces

East Adrougne; Located south of the adrougne north bank, this furnace is usefull if your in the area, but better options are still available for long smelting trips.

Burgh de rott; Good for temple trekking, bad if your not yet finished in aid of the myreque quest. No access to a bank beforehand. Mildly usefull in circumstance.

Edgeville; The bread and butter of smelting, this furnace is located a meager 13 tiles from the bank, rendering it the ultimate furnace. To make matters even better, there is a chance to smelt two bars at a single time while using this. The varrock achievement diary is required for entrance.

Enakhra's Temple; Useless now. Quest affiliated furnace.

Entrana; Useless unless crafting on Entrana. Closest bank is draynor, used to be a good method for gaining crafting exp until a hand in the sand quest came out, near useless now.

Dorgesh-Kaan; Both the anvil and the furnace are in near proximity, making this usefull if you are in need of creating an item on the spot. But it is relatively far from a bank. Usefull in circumstance.

Meiyerditch; Far from a bank, no close mines, useless unless you are doing legacy of the seergaze quest, which is also a requirement to use it to begin with.

Neitiznot; One of the closest forges to a bank, right behind port phasmatys and edgeville. Completion Of the freminek trials is a requirement to use this forge. Located north east of the bank.

Piscatoris; Nice place if you've completed the swan song quest, as it's proximity to a bank is close. Nobody uses it though, rendering it a nice countryside forge. Located south east of the bank

Port phasmatys; 16 steps from a bank, this forge is the second best in the game. If you have not completed the varrock achievement diary, this is the place for you. Located north of the bank.

Relleka; Closest furnace to a anvil. Not the greatest for bank proximity.

Tyras camp; Requires regicide to be started in order to use. Useless.

Tzhaar city; Usefull in circumstance due to the mine just north of the lava forge. Close proximity to a bank.

Zanaris Lost city quest is a requirement to enter zanaris. Far from a bank, rendering it useless.

As it currently stands, the port phasmatys forge is the closest to the bank if you have not yet completed the varrock achiement diary. Once completed, switch to edgeville.

For free play the closest to a bank is the al kharid furnace.

1.3 Where the anvils are located:

F2p

Varrock west; Closest to bank; low-level players can buy smithed items from higher level smiths.

Varrock centre; Two anvils in Horvik's shop.

Varrock east; Two anvils just south of the bank on the west side. Best f2p spot to smith.

Doric's Hut; Two anvils located north of Falador, which can only be used if players have completed Doric's Quest. Useless.

Dwarven Mine; Two anvils that may be helpful if you wish to use superheat item. Otherwise, useless.

Thurgo's Peninsula; South of Port Sarim, useless.

Draynor Village; In the sewer dungeon, Useless

Wilderness; In the Western Ruins, at level 23 wilderness. May be useful to smith bars made at Eastern Ruins furnace and make room for some more ores from the Hobgoblin mine.

Barbarian village; In the south-west most house. A barbarian anvil, usefull for smithing hasta's and spears.

Keldagrim; Several anvils in Keldagrim: one by the bank, one by the general store, and three by the Blast Furnace.

Seers' Village; West of bank.

Yanille Just south of the bank; also near the Wizards' Guild.

Wilderness; West of the Mage Arena.

Hemenster; West of the Ranging Guild.

Nardah; In the platelegs shop.

Port Khazard; Just west of the Trawler Mini-Game.

Jatizso; North of the platebody shop. Requires The Fremennik Trials.

Miscellania; Next to the coal mine.

Karamja; North of Tai Bwo Wannai.

Void Knights' Outpost; West of the bank.

West Ardougne; Along the north wall.

Burthorpe; In the north-east corner.

Relleka; In the south-west corner there are three. It's the closest anvil to a furnace in all of RuneScape, but no bank is nearby.

Dragon forge; In the area with mithril dragons. Can only be used to make dragon platebodies.

Overall, if your not using the blast furnace, the closest to a bank would be the anvil located in varrock. It is located in the building south of the west end bank.

2.1 Smelting:

Item name : Required level : Experience gained : Ores required

Bronze bar : Level one : 6.2 : One copper, one tin ore

Iron bar : Level fifteen : 12.5 : One iron ore*1

Silver bar : Twenty : 13.5 : One silver ore

Steel bar : Thirty : 17.5 : One iron ore, two coal ores

Gold bar : Forty : 22.5 Or 56.2*2 : One gold ore

Mithril bar : Fifty : 30 : One mith, Four coal

Adamantite bar : Seventy : 37.5 : One adamantite ore, six coal

Runite bar : Eighty five : 50 : One runite ore, Eight coal

*1: Iron bars only have a fifty percent success rate upon smelting due to the impurities contained within the ores. Every level gained up to 45 will increase the percentile by 1, up to a maximum of eighty percent success. However, using the blast furnace gets rid of this problem, as does superheat item, as does a ring of forging (charged ruby ring)

Rings of forging have one hundred and forty charges (Five trips of carrying twenty eight ores)

*2: Gold bars can yield 56.2 experience per smelt if you are using the quest reward goldsmith gauntlets from the family crest. You can change to these gauntlets by going to the al kharid chasm mine with twenty five thousand gold pieces.

Smithing legend:

* next to an item means its members only

*Claws: Must complete Troll stronghold

*Dart tips: Must complete tourist trap

The ammount of experience for each Type of smithing will be under all the information.

2.2 Smithing: Bronze items

Item name : Level required : Bars required

Dagger : 1 : 1

Axe : 1 : 1

Mace : 2 : 1

Medium Helm : 3 : 1

*Bolts 10 : 3 : 1

Short sword : 4 : 1

Nails (15) : 4 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 4 : 1

*Bronze wire : 4 : 1

Scimitar : 5 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 5 : 1

Long sword : 6 : 2

*crossbow stock : 6 : 1

Full helm : 7 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 7 : 1

Square shield : 8 : 2

Warhammer : 9 : 3

Battle Axe : 10 : 3

Chain Body : 11 : 3

Kiteshield : 12 : 3

*Claws : 13 : 2

Two handed sword : 14 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 16 : 3

Platebody : 18 : 5

Smithing experience: Each bronze bar when smithed yields 12.5 experience.

Bronze wiring is limited only to the bronze smithing field.

2.3 Smithing: Iron items

Dagger : 15 : 1

Axe : 16 : 1

Mace : 17 : 1

*Mobile Rotisserie: 17 : 1

Medium Helm : 18 : 1

*bolts 10 : 18 : 1

Short sword : 19 : 1

Nails (15) : 19 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 19 : 1

Scimitar : 20 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 20 : 1

Long sword : 21 : 2

Full helm : 22 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 22 : 1

Square shield : 23 : 2

*Crossbow stock : 23 : 1

Warhammer : 24 : 3

Battle Axe : 25 : 3

Chain Body : 26 : 3

*Oil Lantern frame : 26 : 1

Kiteshield : 27 : 3

*Claws : 28 : 2

Two handed sword : 29 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 31 : 3

Platebody : 33 : 5

Smithing iron yields 25 experience per bar.

Oil lantern frames are only in the iron smithing field.

Mobile rotisserie's are only in the iron smithing field.

2.4 Smithing: Steel items

Dagger : 30 : 1

Axe : 31 : 1

Mace : 32 : 1

Medium Helm : 33 : 1

*bolts 10 : 33 : 1

Short sword : 34 : 1

Nails (15) : 34 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 34 : 1

*Cannonballs (4) : 35 : 1

Scimitar : 35 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 35 : 1

Long sword : 36 : 2

*Studs : 36 : 1

*crossbow stock : 36 : 1

Full helm : 37 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 37 : 1

Square shield : 38 : 2

Warhammer : 39 : 3

Battle Axe : 40 : 3

Chain Body : 41 : 3

Kiteshield : 42 : 3

*Claws : 43 : 2

Two handed sword : 44 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 46 : 3

Platebody : 48 : 5

Smithing experience for the steel field per bar is 37.5

Cannon balls yield only 25.5 exp per bar and are unique to the steel field

Steel studs are unique only to the steel field.

2.5 Smithing: Mithril items

Dagger : 50 : 1

Axe : 51 : 1

Mace : 52 : 1

Medium Helm : 53 : 1

*Bolts 10 : 53 : 1

Short sword : 54 : 1

Nails (15) : 54 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 54 : 1

Scimitar : 55 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 55 : 1

Long sword : 56 : 2

*crossbow stock : 56 : 1

Full helm : 57 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 57 : 1

Square shield : 58 : 2

Warhammer : 59 : 3

Battle Axe : 60 : 3

Chain Body : 61 : 3

Kiteshield : 62 : 3

*Claws : 63 : 2

Two handed sword : 64 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 66 : 3

Platebody : 68 : 5

Smithing mithril yields 50 experience per bar.

2.6 Smithing: Adamantite items

Dagger : 70 : 1

Axe : 71 : 1

Mace : 72 : 1

Medium Helm : 73 : 1

*Bolts 10 : 73 : 1

Short sword : 74 : 1

Nails (15) : 74 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 74 : 1

Scimitar : 75 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 75 : 1

Long sword : 76 : 2

Crossbow stock : 76 : 1

Full helm : 77 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 77 : 1

Square shield : 78 : 2

Warhammer : 79 : 3

Battle Axe : 80 : 3

Chain Body : 81 : 3

Kiteshield : 82 : 3

*Claws : 83 : 2

Two handed sword : 84 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 86 : 3

Platebody : 88 : 5

Smithing adamantite yields 62.5 experience per bar

2.7 Smithing: Runite items

Dagger : 85 : 1

Axe : 86 : 1

Mace : 87 : 1

Medium Helm : 88 : 1

*Bolts 10 : 88 : 1

Short sword : 89 : 1

*Nails (15) : 89 : 1

*Dart tips (10) : 89 : 1

Scimitar : 90 : 2

*Arrow heads (15) : 90 : 1

Long sword : 91 : 2

*Crossbow Stock : 91 : 1

Full helm : 92 : 2

*Throwing knives (5) : 92 : 1

Square shield : 93 : 2

Warhammer : 94 : 3

Battle Axe : 95 : 3

Chain Body : 96 : 3

Kiteshield : 97 : 3

*Claws : 98 : 2

Two handed sword : 99 : 3

Plateskirt/Platelegs : 99 : 3

Platebody : 99 : 5

Smithing Runite yields 75 experience per bar

3.1 Ways to increase your smithing level:

Dwarven stout yields a temporary bonus of +1 to mining and +1 to smithing at a cost of 2 stats to each of your fighting stats except your hits.

Dwarven stout (m) Gives a bonus of +2 to mining and +2 to smithing while decreasing your fighting stats by 4. Again, not affecting your hits.

Orange spicy stew has the possibility of increasing your level by 6, other side effects may include decreasing it by 6.

Smelting bars and selling them generally yields profit, while smithing your bars will give out a loss. At higher levels, creating platebodies and alching them can indeed yield a gain, always check the ge prices before you smith items.

Carying around superheat item while mining will make your smithing a lot easier, as you can stay in the guild until you get a full load of mithril, it really saves time. Very good for many other spots too, like hob goblin mining, edgeville dungeon mining, you get the point.

Smithing Things that require more bars will make your trips to the anvils shorter (duh)

Cannonballs yield less experience, however, at four per ball, you can buy the bars for cheaper then you can sell the cannon balls back for. However, it is tedious.

3.2 Blast furnace:

The blast furnace requires four people minimum, however, your stats will decrease, and thus, the larger the group, the better.

To use the blast furnace, it requires : 30 firemaking, 30 strength, 30 crafting, 30 agility, 60 smithing.

Strength: You must pump the blast furnace, it yields two experience per second, you do not want to overheat the gauge, so a good spotter will save you hits. When the spotter says stop, stop. Only listen to stop

Spotter: Watches the gauge, when it gets in to the red zone, the spotter yells stop, this is when the smelting happens. Say agil when its just turns green. Also, make sure when things break that they get fixed by telling others in your group what to go fix.

Firemaking: Requires shovel. Each time you refuel the stove you gain five firemaking experience. Click collect coke, then click refuel stove.

Agility: You gain one agility experience per second when your on the pedals. It drains your energy slowly, so energy pots do some good. The Person doing the pedals only needs to use the pedals when the spotter says agil. Then keep on it until the spotter says agil can stop.

Crafting: You need a hammer, every time you fix something broken you gain 50 crafting exp. Having two crafters is usefull. One by the cogs and one by the pipes. Just pay attention.

Smithing: To smith at the blast furnace, you need to put your ores on the conveyor. Use a bucket of water on the bar dispenser to cool it down. If you are by chance below 60 smithing, you will need to pay 2500gp per ten minutes of use at the blast furnace, not to mention you can't use the anvils.

Guide to Soloing the blast furnace

1. Bring coal noted, or your going to have to take a chance with finding a world with a hundred coal already at the shop.

2. Put the coal on the conveyer

3. Buy a full inventory of iron or mith to put on the conveyer

4. Pedal the conveyer

5. Add some coke to the furnace

6. Pump the belows and repair anything that you need to.

7. Thirty to ninety seconds later your bars will be ready, so cool them down with the bucket of water.

8. Smith whatever

The ammount of coal you add to the furnace will not diminish, say you added 200 coal, and only twenty iron ores, that means that the furnace still has 180 coal in it

3.3 Random smithing info

At levels 8 and 13, blurite can be smithed after the completion of the knights sword quest. At level 8, bolts can be made, at level 13, crossbow limbs.

At level 20, elemental bars can be smithed upon completion of the elemental workshop quests to smith Elemental shields and helmets. Further processing of the bar can create a primed elemental bar, which can then in turn be changed to a primed mind bar, allowing for the creation of elemental mind equipment.

At levels 20, 40, 60 and 80 Smithing, players can create the tiers of items in Stealing Creation.

At level 60 Smithing, players can combine a shield left half (a rare drop from many monsters) and a shield right half (obtained from the shop at the Legends' Guild) to get a Dragon sq shield. Dont actually do this, as buying the right half of the shield must be purchased, and costs more than the shield on the ge.

At level 70 Smithing, players can use one of the beacons in the All Fired Up minigame.

At level 80 Smithing, players can combine the 3 godsword shards (obtained from the god wars dungeon) into the Godsword blade, and then add one of the four hilts to make a godsword.

At level 85 Smithing, players can combine any type of sigil with a blessed spirit shield if they also have level 90 Prayer.

At level 90 Smithing, players can combine a Draconic Visage with an anti-dragon shield to get a dragonfire shield and 2,000 Smithing experience.

At level 92 Smithing, players can combine a Ruined dragon armour lump with an Ruined dragon armour shard and a Ruined dragon armour slice to get a Dragon platebody, using a Blast fusion hammer. Doing so must be done in the dragon forge, located in the ancient cavern.

4.1 Future updates

Future updates include charts to recognize price fluctuations in bars, ores, and exp gained per gp spent. All around updates, blah blah blah.

4.2 Credits

Myself.

Taleswapper (for the information on how to solo the blast furnace)

Wikipedia, for this sweet picture

user posted image

If you copy this guide, i will track down your ip, track it to a location in the world with gps, and begin my man hunt.

Think i'm joking? I hope you like shotgun for breakfast.

Who needs copyrights with threats like that?

• Upvote 1

pictures help blink.gif

This is a smithing clan. I'm pretty sure anyone within masors has made all these items a billion times over.

However, i will be adding pictures of the locations for anvils along with the furnaces.

• Upvote 1

Guest Renlong

isnt smithing bars into plates faster than smelting gold ores? well im f2p i wouldnt know but im pretty sure bars bars are faster

and whats the point in saying anvil that are very far from a bank, makes ur guide look bigger which i think doesnt help

and maybe you should make a chart for the smithing tables? rolleyes.gif

meh nvm your guide, anyways nice guide so far biggrin.gif

hehe and im going to go to tutorial island to smith my bars wink.gif

This is a guide containing all information pertaining to smithing. This is not a guide simply to dazzle folks, its all hardcore information. Who cares about pictures? Who cares if something is pretty to look at?

I'd much rather have something usefull to something "pretty"

There, i made it easier to find what you are looking for with the search system, and i also added in some boldness to it.

• Upvote 1

its a guide!  Dont get so defensive about it.  I think it is great though in my opinion.

-yuck5

You gotta be defensive. Why? because, i like to argue tongue.gif

No you dont dry.gif

jk laugh.gif

Theres a reason why i have to argue. If i don't, i won't be arguing. I'm inherantly evil, and usually my arguments concern the weapons i make. Thus, arguments are how i wrote this guide. Because i kept getting in to fights with people, after the argument escalated, making me create and use my weapons, only to write a guide of how, and where, to create weapons, only to be used by fellow masors.

See, Aren't i good at arguing?

• Upvote 1

Guest taleswapper

Despite expecting my head to get bitten off by the fearsome lokiri I'm gunna have to say that all that "hardcore" information is not that useful (most ppl are going to do bars, cannonballs, plates, knives, or darts) and can be found in heaps of guides on other sites (tip.it, runehq, zybez).

Maybe you could include xp per hour for common (or not so common) smithing techniques. Also possibly costs? How can you make money smithing (cannonballs, iron knives)?

I don't know much about smithing, but I do know that the blast furnace can be used quite well by yourself ( i made a few k of bars there once) and that if money isn't an object you can get quite a bit of xp making steel or mith plates there. Basic process:

1. buy as much coal as you can (hopping worlds you can get a few hundred easily)

2. put coal on conveyer

3. buy inv full of iron/mith ores put on conveyer

4. pedal conveyer belt

5. add some coal to furnace

6. pump belows (make any repairs neccessary)

7. (30 - 90 seconds later) the bars will come out

8. add water to cool them and collect bars

9. smith plates

10. alch plates

11. goto step 3 unless out of coal in which case go to step 1

Guest steve_dafist

Overall awesome guide. The Tricks of the Trades section was good. The only comment thing I would change is:

Smithing: If you are below level 60 and reading this, you don't belong in masors. To smith at the blast furnace, you need to put your ores on the conveyor. Use a bucket of water on the bar dispenser to cool it down.

You only need 50 smithing for Masors. Not rerally a big deal, but just saying.

I stand by my words...

I also wrote this after waking up. Sorry tongue.gif

Also whats wrong with a school book? Whats wrong with pure information?

People who seriously need smithing info want something thats not going to waste there time. That is what this here provides.

• Upvote 1

Guest taleswapper

I'll take that your posting this here means i can use it.

Of course you can, might need a little refining though.

Pictures are useful sometimes as they can often convey the same information much more quickly than text. Here they aren't so neccessary, if we could use tables that might look a bit better, but we can't, so text it is lol.

• 2 weeks later...
If you copy this guide, i will track down your ip, track it to a location in the world with gps, and begin my man hunt.

Think i'm joking? I hope you like shotgun for breakfast.

Who needs copyrights with threats like that?

Good luck with that. You'll be dead before you take 10 steps in my house...

Think I'm joking? Walk into my house with a gun bat.gif

tongue.giftongue.gif

Anyway, awesome guide. Simple, easy to read, though it does lack pictures.

In casses like this, i'd probably set the house aflame and wait. It really all depends.

However, i'm in more of a ninja mood now.

Death by ninja star.

Edit:

Anyhow, i shurikened a picture in there. Does that make it interesting? Although it does not pertain to it.

I removed the picture. If you were wondering, it was me playing duck hunt.

• Upvote 1