The Tormented Demons Slaying Guide (Pre EOC)

Song712

The Tormented Demons Slaying Guide

By: Song712

Guide History

1/12 - Updated FAQ, Fighting the Monster, Dealing With Respawn and made minor changes to Inventory.

1/11 - Moved to Guides from Submissions, thanks.

1/10 - Corrected some mistakes and wordings.

1/10 - Guide posted

Introduction:

After completing the famous "grandmaster" quest While Guthix Sleeps. The location where you killed the boss monsters will now spawn Tormented Demons when you return. It is a multiple combat location but there are many safe spots so you can kill one at a time for their drops. Click here to go to Zybez's monster database on Tormented Demons. Tormented Demon is much like Jad, they both use all three kinds of attacks. (explained below) Thankfully, Tormented Demons don't hit as hard as Jad, (max of 30 with each attack style). Demons also hold onto their attack style for 7 or 8 attacks before they switch, and they often switch without notice. Sounds tricky? This is why this guide is here for you, read on. (only if you want to kill them, because this guide is one of the longest guides I've ever written)

Requirements:

Must have:

Completed While Guthix Sleeps quest.

A decent internet and computer so you don't lag/disconnect/crash during the fight.

A good gravestone.

Stats:

Acceptable:

80+ in attack, strength, defense and hit points.

80+ ranged

60+ prayer

Recommended:

90+ in attack, strength, defense and hit points.

90+ ranged

70+ prayer

Inventory:

user posted image

A darklight is a MUST have, speak to the guy in varrock castle to buy another.

A good melee weapon such as whip, dragon halberd or god sword.

Super attack and strength potions, range potion, only if you are not brewing.

Prayer potions, depends on your prayer level and combat stats. The faster you kill the less potions you need. I started out with 2 and now I need 4, will explain below.

Sharks, you may store extra sharks on a Turtle or use a Bunyip/Unicorn. When you first start, it is very likely you will burn a lot of food fast, but as you practice you will need less and less food because you will react faster to switch prayer and avoid damages. But you will also need more prayer potions to support the lengthened time.

The sapphire lantern is so you can use the light creatures to travel down the chasm.

1 click teleport, self explanatory.

Equipments:

user posted image

This really depends on your personal likings. You can have a really offensive gear like mine maximizing melee and range damage. Or you can have a slightly more defensive gear with DFS and/or verac skirt because you can get hit. Up to you, pick an set, try it out and adapt to your needs.

Fighting The Monster:

Now you are all geared up, let's analyze the monster we are going to kill in depth.

Tormented demons, like the famous Kalphite Queen, is a prayer noob. But demons are slightly smarter than bugs. They all start out with melee prayer when they spawn, but if you do 30 or more damage on them with range, they will change to ranged prayer to protect themselves. So now you will have to switch to melee and deal another 30 or plus damage. Repeat this until they die. Dragon scrimitar special doesn't remove their prayer and verac can hit through it, though not recommended.

here is another tricky part, whenever they spawn, they have a flaming shield around them. This shield makes your attack much less powerful. This is where the darklight comes in. If you hit the demon 1 or more damage with the darklight, his flaming shield will be removed temporally. It comes back after a while so you have to switch back to darklight to get rid of it again.

user posted image

user posted image

Now keep in mind, you can't hit the demon with darklight if he has melee protection on, so you will have to hit him with range and deal more than 5 damage and make him change to ranged prayer, now you can hit him with darklight to get rid of the shield. (stupid demons). On most occasions, the shield will regenerate at least once during the fight, or twice if you are going slow.

now onto his attacks.

As I mentioned above in the introduction, the demon has three attack styles: mage, range and melee.

when he mages, he will bang his head forward and makes a flaming sound effect, the attack itself looks very similar to a fire blast.

user posted image

when he ranges, he swings his left arm and makes a sharp clicking sound, the attack itself looks like a sharp white claw.

user posted image

when he melees, he swings his right arm and makes two cool white lines.

user posted image

Read the following 2 paragraphs, they are important.

Make sure you have the right prayer protection for the right attack. If you focus hard, you might only get hit when he switches attack. Which happens every 7 or 8 turns. Sometimes, due to common glitching, he will not perform the animation for the attack or even make a sound you can only see it, if you are getting hurt, it means you have the wrong prayer on. The hard part is you also have to keep an eye on your own attack, switching between melee and ranged in order to deal damage. Remember they change every 30+ damage, so when you deal 20 damage then 23, switch to the other weapon because you know he will definitely switch prayer. The F4 and F6 hotkeys are EXTREMELY useful in this case. F4 brings up inventory for you to eat and change weapon. F6 brings up prayer for you to change prayer. Just be careful you dont hit the same key twice because that will close the window. This takes a while to get used to but once you have mastered it, you will be able to kill more and more demons in one trip because you will hardly get hit if you have the right prayer on. My personal record when I wrote this guide was/is 15. With 35 sharks and 4 prayer potions.

The demon also has another type of attack, on occasion, he will tilt his head backwards and tries to become a super saiyan/demon, no not really, but he forces out a magic attack to your location which has an area damage, he will attack you with a different or the same attack at the same time the magic attack hits you. So this gives him up to 60 damage in one hit if you don't have magic prayer or the attack he used next. Most of the time when he does the super saiyan, he will change the attack, make sure you change your prayer to magic when he does this to limit the maximum damage on you. Also keep your health well above 60.

As you can see in this picture, the magic attack flies into the distance but it can still hit you.

user posted image

Dealing with respawning + ect.:

It is recommended you stick to one spawning point demon, respawn time isn't long but it gives you enough time to heal up and pick up loots. Here is a confusing picture, which I will explain below:

user posted image

the black thin lines roughly outlines the squares on the ground, the demon takes up 4 squares so he gets stuck easily. while you only take up 1 square.

The purple arrow on the mini-maps indicates the direction you run to get to the spot above. Make sure you have mage prayer on when you are in the open because the demons' default attack is mage when they spawn.

Now run to either number 1 or 4, lure a demon to you, as he gets closer, move to number 2 and he will be stuck behind the rock and can't attack you, drink your potions here. Now move to number 3 for a brief moment as the demon gets even closer to the rock. Now move to number 4 and start ranging him to get rid of his melee prayer so you can darklight his shield.

If you get unlucky and another demon starts maging you from the blue circled location on the mini map, you can move to either of the blue dots on the ground and continue killing, that demon will get stuck behind the rock pointed out by an arrow on the mini-map. After you finished killing your current demon, move on below.

On the mini map, there is a brown dot, which indicates a column, run behind the column with mage prayer on and the demon from before will not be able to mage you, so he will walk slowly towards you to try to melee you (you can also leave that demon stuck behind the rock, just make sure you stand at locations where he can't hit you). when he gets pass the brown cross, quickly run to the brown arrow and back to your original position. If you do it right, the demon will get stuck there. You can do this on demons attacking you from other positions too (instead of the blue circle). In the picture above, you can see I successfully trapped 2 annoying demons there. They will stay there until you leave. if you are unsuccessful at the first attempt, then try again, just don't panic and die. If you simply can't trap them and have 2 or 3 on you, just log out and they will move away, so you can try again later with maybe fewer demons. As a last resort, change world.

With 2 demons trapped there, if nobody tries to lure one to you, the only demon is capable of attacking you is the one you want to kill, which spawns at the red circle. Repeat the yellow numbers and kill demons until you have run out of supplies.

UPDATED, 1/12/09

I may have found a more efficient way to trap annoying demons.

user posted image

I edited the mini-map to deal with two scenarios, think of this as two pictures in one.

as a reminder, always have pray on when you are in the open to minimize damage.

If the orange circled yellow dot demon comes to bother you, quickly run to the orange spot on the picture and he will be stuck behind the rock, then run back and he will be stuck behind the orange marked rock and won't be able to bother you as you continue to pwn the blue arrowed demon.

If the red circled demon wants to play, quickly run to the red dot on the picture and he will be stuck behind that rock when you run back to fight the blue arrowed demon.

So there you have it, no matter where they come from, you can always stuck them behind something.

Here is an example of how I successfully stuck both of them, the blue dots on the mini-map indicate their spawn point. (pictures limit reached, click the link please)

http://img57.imageshack.us/img57/4640/yaytp5.png

FAQ:

Are there other safe spots I can use?

Yes there are many, but this one is my favorite, and the only one covered in this guide.

Can I mage instead of range?

No, period.

What if I die?

If you have a 4 minutes tombstone, you have a good chance of running back and pick up your items. It is recommended you have at least 2 sapphire lanterns because if you lose one, you can use the spare to travel back for items. When you go back, carry a few food and energy potions, along with the lantern and a teleport. So you can get there quickly and not die while you loot your items. UPDATE: I just died myself the other day, I ran back ASAP using my method above and got all my precious items back, it was pretty tight because the grave died right afterward. I have a 4 minute gravestone, so if you are rich and have a 5 minute gravestone, you should be perfectly fine.

I did the quest a while ago, I forgot my way to the demons

Go to lumbridge basement, use the bank chest there to get ready. Go through the wall then another wall to the south, then run south until you get to the jumping stones with frogs. Go through the cave and use your sapphire lantern on a light creature and pick "go down the chasm". After you are down, run along the map, climb up the face thingy twice and go through the tunnel on the face at the top. Now keep going down the map and you will reach the room with demons. Put on mage prayer, run to the spot and start pwning!

Should I bring a familiar?

YES! A familiar can help you a lot, believe it or not. Even if you have low summoning, creatures like terror bird or even bull ants can carry 9 to 12 extra sharks. The higher summoning the better because not only the familiar can support your health making you stay longer, they can also damage the demon. Their damage can only be protected with Protect Against Familiars, since demons don't use that, familiars can deal a lot of damage, don't underestimate them. Summon them close if they get stuck. Also, familiar damages does not count toward the 30-or-more-damage-then-the-demon-switches-prayer thingy.

In conclusion, I hope you learned something from this long guide I wrote. I hope you will have better luck than me at those demons. diablo9qd.gif

Click here to see my log on killing Tormented Demons.

Credits:

- To this guide for teaching me the basics. So I can write a guide and pass my personal experience down to you all.

- To Jagex for creating a cool boss monster with cool drops.

- To Masors for supporting me in this guide.

- To PhotoBucket for image hosting.

- To MS Paint for image editting.

- To awesome food for filling me up so I can write this guide.

- Wait, I think I've gone too far, blah. X.gif

anyway, THANKS! smile.gif

Edited by Song712

Oh my God! This guide is excellent- even better organized than my guide for a guide! *Hurts a little inside for the given compliment to you*

You have all your pictures backed up with the necessary information + the picture is awesome. Your wording is short and concise, and even if somebody got confused with the reading... you have excellent visual aids.

I'm F2P and even I can understand what's up- too bad I'm too cheap to pay 5.95 a month tongue.gif.

Anyhow,

FREAKIN' GREAT JOB!

- Joshua

Your wording is short and concise, and even if somebody got confused with the reading... you have excellent visual aids.

lol I wouldn't call it concise, since it's the longest guide I've ever written, just detailed I guess. thank you for your compliments.

also, after I wrote this guide, tormented demons seemed to be really mad at me. Got piled many times and even died to a 3 big hits in a row KO. (wasn't paying attention and pressed the wrong shortcut key by mistake)

Your wording is short and concise, and even if somebody got confused with the reading... you have excellent visual aids.

lol I wouldn't call it concise, since it's the longest guide I've ever written, just detailed I guess. thank you for your compliments.

also, after I wrote this guide, tormented demons seemed to be really mad at me. Got piled many times and even died to a 3 big hits in a row KO. (wasn't paying attention and pressed the wrong shortcut key by mistake)

Don't admit it to others! tongue.gif Hide the pain.

Lol, your short and concise compared to my short and concise must be two different things lol. My writings and my signature just don't fit- I'm such a hypocrite almost every time I post because I type so long!

Anyhow, very excellent guide, and very impressed with it. I read every last word of it smile.gif

With this, how in the world am I suppose to make a slaying guide section for a guide competition I was gonna throw this month (though there is a grand xp competition that I have to wait for now lol)? I guess one of the guides will have to be something like 'how to make cookies' instead of slaying now lmfao.gif

Worthy of advertising in my signature, everybody has to see this guide wink.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...