Profiting from farming

Frozen

Nyaa nyaa!~ to you.

Updates: added titles.

First off, farming is most profitable, afkable skill in runescape. You're online for 5-15 minutes, afk for 65-75 and get back online.

with this theory your profit per trip should be capped at 5-16 times what is mentioned at the bottom of this guide.

Keep in mind, you will ONLY reach 2m (or more) if you're very VERY lucky and farm torstols with supercompost, magic secateurs and juju farming potions. Farming torstols is very risky and should not be attempted unless you check on your herbs every 20 minutes. Otherwise, farm snapdragons.

If your farming is at least not 70 (or 85 for torstols), do not fear, below is a guide which you can use.

Traning methods

Allotment patches (Catherby, Northeast of Ardougne, North of Explorer's ring tele, West of ectophial teleport

Level 1-5: Potatoes

level 5-7: Onion

level 7-12: Cabbage

12-20: Tomato

20-47: Sweetcorn

47-70: Watermelon

70+: Nothing unless leveling.

Flower patches (Catherby, Northeast of Ardougne, North of Explorer's ring tele, West of ectophial teleport, Don't touch these when they are fully grown unless otherwise stated)

2-20: Marigold

20-47: Scarecrow

47-70: Nasturtium

70+: Marigold, you will be picking these for ~ 4k profit per harvest.

Tree patches (Varrock, Falador, Tree Gnome Stronghold, Taverly and Lumbridge)

15-30: Oak

30-45: Willow

45-60: Maple (or just continue with willows if on a low budget)

60-70: Maples or Yew trees

Fruit tree patches (Brimheaven, Tree Gnome Stronghold, Tree Gnome Village, Herblore Habitat, Catherby and Lletya)

27-33: Apple

33-39: Banana

39-42: Orange

42-51: Curry

51-57(or 62): Pineapple

57-68: Papaya

68-70: Palm

Bushes (Kandarin Monastery, Etcetera, Rimmington and Champions Guild)

10-22: Redberry

22-36: Cadava Berries

36-48: Dwellberry bush

48-59: Jangerberry bush

59-70: Whiteberry bush

70+: Poison Ivy

Herb Patches (Along with allotment and flowers)

9-14: Guam

14-19: Marrentill

19-26: Tarromin

26-32: Harrander

32-38: Ranarr

38-44 (or 50): Toadflax

44-50: Irit

50-56: Kwuarm

56-62: Avantoe

62+: Snapdragon

85+(optional): Torstol, has highest profit, but also highest risk.

Special patches

42+: Evil Turnip - Draynor manor

53: Bittercap Mushrooms and Jade vine - west of canifis and east ardougne

54+: Vine Blossoms at Herblore Habitat

55+: Cactus - Al'Kharid

63+: Belladonna - Draynor Manor

72+: Calquat tree (Payment, 8 poison ivy) - Tai Bwo Wannai

Vinesweeper

Meanwhile training farming you would like to play Vinesweeper, I'll make a guide on how to play that later.

70+

Once you get to 70 farming the money will start to roll in, at 85+ Its recommended to farm torstols.

However use of juju farming potions is highly recommended due to the high risk. This, almost always, guarantees profit and a high yield.

Yet, you have to look out for diseased herbs.

Juju Farming Potions

Probably the best potion in game right now, 33% chance for double herbs per harvest, in order to obtain these you will need to have 74 hunter and 64 herblore along with 70 farming.

For a hunter training guide, please refer to my Hunter Miniguide:

Herblore is pretty self-explanatory though, If you wish for higher herblore levels, make the best potion you can make up to super attacks then super attacks to super strengths and then them to 64, however prayer pots might be cheaper depending on herb costs.

To make them, hunt Common / Draconic Jadinkos for herb seeds (Ugune), pay the zombie gardener to look after your herbs for 3 blue vine blossoms per time.

Mixing them requires atleast 74 hunter due to the marble vines that only are gained from Igneous Jadinkos.

Ugune + Juju vial of water = Ugune Potion (unf)

Ugune potion (unf) + Marble Vine = Juju farming potion.

Requirements for maximum profit

Skill levels:

72 farming, 74 Hunter, 64 Herblore, 92 Summoning (78 works too)

Items:

Equipped: Ardougne Cape (with atleast Kandarin Monastery teleport), Skill necklace (if <4 on cape), Magic Secateurs, Gloves (Any) and Explorers Ring (With Cabbage Patch teleport), Ring of Duelling

Inventory:

Every trip: Fire runes, law runes, air runes, ectophial, spade, seed dibber, snapdragon or torstol seeds, coins and juju farming potion and 4 Marigold seeds.

Optimal order: Trollheim, pot juju potion before you start to harvest, make sure your magic secateurs are equipped. Next, ectophial teleport, Camelot, Ardougne patch and finally Cabbage patch.

In every patch replant the herbs and marigolds, If you have a belladonna planted in draynor manor, check the belladonna every trip.

Dungeoneering rewards:

LEARNED (Important): Scroll of Life

Optional: Scroll of Cleansing (not recommended for torstols because of the extreme money loss)

Poison Ivy bush trips: Combat bracelet, rimmington teleport (keep your house here if you havn't done the quest to make tablets), 4 poison ivy seeds, giant ent / Wolpertinger pouch.

Optimal order: after you're finished with The cabbage patch, if this is not your 10th herb trip, as to speak of, counted in hours from the belladonna seed is planted, teleport to rimmington and

harvest the poison ivy there, make sure your familiar is summoned though. Next, Kandarin Monastery, Miscellania (Use fairy rings) and finally Combat brace yourself to the Champion's Guild.

Belladonna Trips:

Belladonna seed, this is brought along every 10th herb run.

After you've planted your final herb seed, run north to draynor manor and plant a new belladonna there, this one is purely only for xp though.

Cactus: Keep one in your patch, It will regrow one spine every 20 minutes. Harvest this one after you're done with everything else.

Fruit trees:

These will regrow 1 fruit approximately once every 45 minutes. Therefore it's best to leave them alone for 4½ hours, this means every 4th herb trip, after looting the cactus, you should head all over and loot these babies. Papayas is the fruit tree of choice.

Profit per trip

Depending on your skill level the profit you will make varies greatly.

However, at 83 farming, with Juju farming potion, giant ent and everything else in this guide used, the avarage gain of items is:

~ 45 snapdragon herbs per trip, 24 poison ivy berries per trip, 3 cactus spines per trip, 2-4 marigolds per trip, 40 papayas per trip.

Total profit per trip: 268.6k + seeds back to 671.6k + seeds back, These values are per hour. You can add 10k-50k or something like that if you turn the potions into unfinished ones. This gives you a little herblore xp as you clean them and making your top profit go above 300-700k. If you did torstols, 500k-1m or more plus all the other items in profit per trip reaching as high as 2m depending on your farming level.

Theoretical maximum: In theory, an avarage herb trip lies at around 45 herbs and raises with your level. A theory can be set up,

Maximum herbs that can be gained from patch is 21 without pots, theres 5 herb patches, (105 herbs in total). Added 33% sets an absolute max at 210 herbs, and a theoretical max of 140.

However, 210 herb maximum chance is so low, it would be easier to find aliens.

Harvest time

An avarage trip takes about 15 minutes max:

Herbs and Marigolds: 5 minutes

Poison Ivy: 3 Minutes

Cactus: 1 Minute

Fruit Trees: 6 Minutes

An avarage trip is 8 min 20 sec.

Growth time (avarages)

herbs: 80 minutes (4*20)

Flowers: 15 Minutes (3*5)

Ivy berries: 160 minutes (8*20)

Cactus: 520 minutes

Papaya: 960 minutes (160*6)

Farm clock

Runescape uses a timer to figure the growth of a herb or any other plant.

This means it follow some rules. Read this article for more information: http://seanv.info/2007/farming_timers.html

What it means is that whenever you log on, you have to stay online for the course of the herb growth timer to cause a grow event, or stay offline.

But it also means that you will be able to find at exactly what point in time your herbs will grow.

Herbs uses a 20 minute clock.

Finding the game clock:

Theres two ways to do this: 1. Plant a herb seed and wait until it grows, staying online all the time.

2. Log out then back in and record the time.

This is your starter time, meaning after this point 20 minutes in time, your herbs will grow once.

Everytime you log in or out it resets, therefore the big time differences between the plants which we report as "normal" difference, when it has technical backgrounds proving it, what it means is, These clocks seems to be per herb and resets on login/out.

Using this you can set up a route, every 20 minutes, do a herb trip to check on them, (especially good if you're doing torstols), then do something else for the next 20 minutes and repeat.

Deaths and Diseases

Theres other things to interfere with the moneymaking than the farm clock, DISEASES!

Every now and then your herbs will get sick and start dying and will interrupt the growth, leaving it at the state it should have become - 1.

When it grows from state 1 to state 2 and gets diseased, it will revert back to state 1 and finally die 20 minutes later.

The best way to avoid dead herbs is to manually check up on them and is greatly recommended for torstols.

At avarage, about 14% of all planted herbs dies.

Thanks to

Wildman18drew for finding errors

Tore for telling me about the clocks and maximum herbs per trip, and herb death ratio.

Ahsgreenwave for ideas about less confusing guide

If you have anything you want to add, something I might have left out or a pointer on errors, please feel free.

Edited by guthian

very nice guide, although I only make herbs for proftis, and and what does 'average of 83/maximum at 99 farming' mean~? ive got no way near that and im 99 farming- most i got with juju pots is mid 40's but one patch had died, but still maybe your calculations are a little off...

very nice guide, although I only make herbs for proftis, and and what does 'average of 83/maximum at 99 farming' mean~? ive got no way near that and im 99 farming- most i got with juju pots is mid 40's but one patch had died, but still maybe your calculations are a little off...

Probably, although what I mean is at avarage, on level 83 you will get aprox 45 herbs per trip with juju potion. Adding toheather everything you made.

At 99, however, You can technically recieve 80 herbs from 5 patches

Edited by guthian

What Hal said, that 45 herbs per hr is pretty high...again even at 99 farming. Herbs grow about every 90 minutes, so that means 67 herbs per trip average? I've maxed at 61 with pots. Id say the range is 23-63 or something per herb run.

I say it once again...

The maximum THEORETICAL herbs gained per trip is 80, if not more. What I've heard the maximum was 60 without pots. Adding the 33% bonus the THEORETICAL maximum should be around 80.

It has nothing to do with avarage, the first one at 83 does, the other one is at 99 with the above:

45 avarage at 83/maximum at 99 being 80.

Avarage at 99 however, with potion, should be 50-60

I'll just add this directly into the guide to remove future problematics.

Edited by guthian

The maximum is 21 without pot per plant, thus giving a theoretical maximum of 85 without pots... I've never ever personally seen 21 from a plant, and I've only ever seen 20 once (no pot, ages ago), so the odds are probably less than winning the Euromillions alone... The 21 max is regardless of level I think, but your average harvest increases with your level.

You might also put in some details about understanding the farm clock (if you do understand it) in a spoiler or something, as its pretty handy in understanding why your herbs sometimes only take 60 minutes and other times takes over 100 minutes to grow.

Also disease etc?

You might also put in some details about understanding the farm clock (if you do understand it) in a spoiler or something, as its pretty handy in understanding why your herbs sometimes only take 60 minutes and other times takes over 100 minutes to grow.

Also disease etc?

Great Ideas, I'll look it up, though, I did take into account that not all trips are perfect 85 herbs per trip.

Appearently this http://seanv.info/2007/farming_timers.html, show that if you log in and out resets / adds a delay to the timer.

Meaning you should stay online / offline meanwhile.

As I see it, when you log in, the timer value sets to 0 causing the 20 minutes to start over.

I'm kind of annoyed that I didn't think of this obviousness myself though :o

Please explain to me if I did something wrong...

Edited by guthian

I would stick to either profit/herbs/etc. per trip or profit/herbs/etc. per hour. Since per trip and per hour are not the same thing, reading through can be confusing when you are discussing averages and figures. So I would either pick per hour or per trip. Also, I didn't see anything about herbs dying or loss of profit/averages due to these. Maybe put a disclaimer or something stating that the figures given are for herb runs with no dead patches or something.

The maximum is 21 without pot per plant, thus giving a theoretical maximum of 85 without pots... I've never ever personally seen 21 from a plant, and I've only ever seen 20 once (no pot, ages ago), so the odds are probably less than winning the Euromillions alone... The 21 max is regardless of level I think, but your average harvest increases with your level.

If the maximum theoretical is 21 per patch, how does that turn out to a theoretical maximum of 85?

The theoretical maximum without pots here should be 105, giving an absolute max at 140 herbs, Which is even less chance than finding another set of intelligent species out there.

I would stick to either profit/herbs/etc. per trip or profit/herbs/etc. per hour. Since per trip and per hour are not the same thing, reading through can be confusing when you are discussing averages and figures. So I would either pick per hour or per trip. Also, I didn't see anything about herbs dying or loss of profit/averages due to these. Maybe put a disclaimer or something stating that the figures given are for herb runs with no dead patches or something.

Fixed, I might have missed something, someone read it through, I have to go get ready for xmas :)

Edited by guthian

If the maximum theoretical is 21 per patch, how does that turn out to a theoretical maximum of 85?

The theoretical maximum without pots here should be 105, giving an absolute max at 140 herbs, Which is even less chance than finding another set of intelligent species out there.

Maths fail >.<

Anyway, the theoretical maxiumum with pots would be twice your theoretical max without. Imagine it as each time you pick a herb you roll a dice with three sides. one of these sides have a herb on it, and if you roll that side you get an extra herb, if you roll one of the other two, you don't. If you are truly lucky, you picked 105 herbs (which is the max: 21*5 = 105), and rolled the extra herb on each herb too, giving you 210 herbs :P

But saying that, rolling a 3 sided dice on the same side 105 times in a row has a probability of 7,98 X 10^(-51), (7,98 times 10 to the power of negative 51). Not even mentioning the probability of getting 105 herbs in the first place (getting more than 12 is rare without pots), and the probability of this occuring the same time :P

Also, herbs don't die 1/5, I found back when I was tracking my herbs that 14 % got diseased (tracked over something like 5k seeds), this is almonst only toadlax and snapdragons though, there is theories that the herbs probability of getting diseased vary with different plants though.

theoretical maximum is what tore said: its possible for 21 per plant and possible 2 per herb and 5 plots so 210 herbs.

then again, this number is so astronomically improbable, why again are you guys even contemplating it? :P

anyway, nice guide, really gets into the nitty gritty.

Good changes, one more thing that I see that is kind of confusing. You say 14/100 herbs die per trip on average. This implies that you obtain 100 herbs per trip on average. I think maybe just change this to an average of 14% of herbs die per trip.

whopsie!