Why do you like mining or smithing?

Aprz

When a lot of people join this clan and introduce themselves, they usually tell us that they either love mining, smithing, or both. I want to hear from our members and soon to be members why is it their favorite skill? Is it the money? The rush of runite mining in the wilderness? It's because it's one of your highest level and you're too lazy to try anything else?

When I joined this clan, I didn't really like mining or smithing. I was just training it because I was falling behind in those skills compared to my other skills. A bunch of black robed guys and girls raided the mining guild, and they seemed like a fun bunch. What an interesting idea, a mining and smithing clan, not a boring PK one (no offense to you pkers out there). I joined and made some friends here, and we decided to race to level 85 mining so we could runite mine. After getting level 84 mining, I used dwarven stout to mine runite rock. I loved the rush of mining in the wilderness, out smarting those pkers, and making it back to Edgeville safely with a half full inventory of runite ores. It was unfortunate to see the wilderness go and to lose that rush, and stopped, but now that it has returned, I think I might go back to runite mining.

I don't really like the skill of smithing in the current version of RuneScape, but in Classic, the better your smithing is, the richer you are, and the better armor you can have whether you buy it or making. It seems like the only way to get around in Classic.

Now you share! :)

• Upvote 1

I've always loved mining. I can't say for sure why XD I was always proud to say I love mining while other people were complaining about how much they dislike it.

I love mining so much I spent a full year and 3 months doing NOTHING but mining. My friends called me crazy but it was fun :P

Because I didn't like combat, so I set a skill goal: get in as many guilds as I could. Started making huge money with iron and then coal in the guild (big for a nub f2per) and I've just liked it and with the lrc and p2p now i am making pretty decent money for me. Smithing just happened because, hey it was a skill to train. I don't think I've got 3 smithing levels since I got mems though

when i started i only liked skills that involved a lot of clicking such as mining some smithing came with that till i got around 50 smithing or so then i started smelting steel for money buying coal mining iron, prob did that to 70 smithing making good cash at the time and the rest just happened

I like mining because it was one of the first skills that I grinded out some xp...Sitting in the mining guild for hours mining/banking coal over and over. By the time I got pretty high lvl, it was my main method for income, now it is nostalgic for me to go back and mine, reminds me of being lower lvl and going in and making money that way. Smithing just goes with mining, I used to try to keep the two close to the same lvl but mining took off eventually so I had to go for 99 smithing to catch it up.

On the first accounts I had, I always planned on making all my own armour...after around level 40 or so smithing I just quit the two all together XD

Course, i used to smith by loading up a full inventory of iron in rimmington, bank it, then go to dwarven mines and compete for the 6 coal rocks for two inventories...took ages to level...now it seems so fast and easy!

i always thought mining and smithing were the main skills of runescape...all about making your own armour and/or selling for lots of $$$ now smithing = loss of money.

Edited by wise pierre

I love mining because it's where I made my first 100k. I was hired on to mine 1k iron ore at the time I thought the guy was a sucker for paying me 100k for iron ore.

I love smithing because when I was low level I could mine and smith my own gear. Never having to buy any. I also was able to help out lower levels who needed gear.

I like mining/smithing because when I first started playing RS, it was because a few of my friends irl told me about how cool it was, and they all had high woodcutting/firemaking levels, because that's all they really trained. I decided, maybe if I do a lot of mining/smithing, I'll be so much better than them; my friends all quit rs later that year :P , but I stayed and continued to like mining and smithing.

Back in 2003, when I started RS, I was broke. I needed some sort of income, and the only players I knew, my cousins, were as broke as I was...So I started asking around, one particular guy whose name I no longer remember did 3 things. First, he gave me 10,000gp (to me this was a lot at the time...it was my first day). Second, he gave me a pick. Third, he had me follow him to the mine Southeast of Varrock. He had me convinced that mining was the absolute best way to make money...

Well...I'm not sure if it was or wasn't good income, but I never got rich. I did however get hooked, and enjoyed the non-bot company of the other miners. If they were nice, I talked with them as I mined...If they were not nice, I annoyed them until they left...nothing against the rules, just was immature :unsure:. I think the only reason I still like mining is that is what I know and am too lazy to try anything else :ph34r:

I do remember, a year or so after I started, I tried to repay the guy who gave me the 10k gp ^_^ I never did like taking stuff I didn't earn myself :runepick: He thought that was silly and told me to give it to someone who needed it...some newbie in Lumbridge was happy that day B)