Smithing Update

Aprz

Awhile ago Jagex indicated that they would be updating the smithing skill. I've been browsing RuneScape Official Forum and a lot of members speculate that it will be happening soon. Do you think it needs to be revamp? If there is an update, what do you think/hope it will be? Do you think they'll change the levels around? According to RuneScape wiki, they have done that before.

In early 2001, Smithing had very different requirements. For example, players needed level 96 Smithing to make steel platebodies rather than level 48. (Source)

My English teacher would kill me for using a wiki as a source by the way. :x

Do you think they'll increase the max level to 120 like dungeoneering? Do you think the update will happen soon?

Since we are a mining and smithing clan, professionals at these two skills, I hope the public will find our thoughts on this valuable. ^_^

I'm hoping they increase the maximum level to 120, release dragon ores, introduce new dragon equipment, and make them smithable. I think this is plausible since most dragon equipment is cheap now, they don't have too much more to introduce, and getting beyond level 99 will still be expensive and difficult. I believe the update will happen within the next month or two, which is what encouraged me to spend 50m to get level 99 smithing, lol.

• Upvote 1

That would be.. interesting. I'm not sure what I think about dragon ore, and dragon armour being smithable. It would certainly devalue dragon armour a bit, but with the vast amount of other armours available to use (most recently Nex's drop table) I'm not sure that would matter much. If there were dragon ore, you would think it would be mineable as well, and I'd be much more interested if that was the case. :D I'd get right on mining that asap. :o

Also steel plates at level 96? :lmfao:

I thought that was crazy to read on the wiki. I wonder how accurate that is. Smithing has been the same since I started playing RuneScape in early 2004.

We got other armor now like bandos and other god armor that replace dragon.

If they want to keep the price of dragon up, maybe they should make the ore only dropable by dragons? Haha, that'd be weird. I think dragon is like the new rune armor. A lot of people risk most of it in the wilderness now except dragon full helm, platebody, and chain. I think all the other ones are cheap, right? Oh, and claw is expensive too, but people one item with that. Even though dragon is defintely more expensive than what rune armor used to be (220k/set), gp is a lot less valuable too I think thanks to all the 76kers.

• Upvote 1

Not that I know of. I guess I read some people said it was suppose to happen last year (2010), but it seems to be a common topic in Future Updates in RuneScape Official Forum. I have no idea what sparked it, but that makes me think it might happen soon. Also according to RuneScape wiki, it's being worked on according to Jagex (Oo... I used according three times in the same sentence).

A Smithing update is in the works according to Jagex.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Smithing

Hey guys,

I'm sat near the devs today and I can hear a lot of exciting chat about the Smithing update.

It's not going to be in February, but hopefully soon!

~ MMH ~

http://forum.runescape.com/forums.ws?16,17,833,61694459,goto,27

That was a long time ago so no idea why it's been a common topic in Future Updates. I'm interested in too hence why I chose to train smithing like I said earlier. If they raise the max to 120 though, I might cry a little. It'll be awesome, but I don't know if I'll be able to go above 99. It's so expensive!

• Upvote 1

It certainly is one of the more complete skills, but I think it would be nice to have some real motivation to train it. People don't train it so they can make rune armour anymore, its just there for the exp and levels really. :P It would be kind of nice to get a herblore-esque update, where you need high levels to get great untradeable items. :D

If they had that update, it certainly would be an exciting one. I wonder how they would bring about the "ores" though. Wouldn't exactly make sense as a drop; neither as a mining ore. The only thing I could think of would be the Jurassica Park method through which it's fossilized sweat off the dragon (Well... actually... it would be a mosquito that sucked the blood out of a dinosaur dragon and then got stuck in tree sap that became fossilized... BUT CLOSE ENOUGH RIGHT?!)

Or maybe no ore would be introduced, and just merely you would smith dragon scale? I think that would be really cool!

• Upvote 1

I have been asked about this before and I doubt they will do much to smithing unless they add a new type of gear. Like they did with darts/knifes.

I don't know how long back they supposedly said anything about updatin gsmithing, but could the iron smelting update or perhaps the dung scroll of efficiencey have been what they were refering to?

*At level 15, iron ore has a 50% success rate of being smelted. This chance increases by 1% with each Smithing level, up to an 80% chance at level 45 Smithing.

~dragon~

• 7 months later...