Using Google docs for RS

gunny

Using Google Docs for RuneScape

The purpose of this guide is to show everyone how you can use simple formulas in Google spreadsheets to track your RuneScape goals, make calculators etc etc. It can be used by people who have never used Google docs as well as those who do have some experience but have not really used them for RuneScape purposes.

Contents:

1. What are Google docs?

2. Why use Google docs?

3. How to open Google docs?

4. What to do now? [ Using the spreadsheets for RuneScape]

4.1 Simple functions

4.2 Parsing values

5.Using more than one sheet

6. Limitations

7. Examples of previously made documents

8. Exercises

9. Sharing!

10. Credits

1. What are Google docs?

Google docs are an online freely available (www.docs.google.com) application which is similar to Microsoft Office used across the world. The Google docs consist of

Documents (Similar to Microsoft word)

Spreadsheets (Similar to Microsoft Excel)

Presentation (Similar to Microsoft PowerPoint)

Drawing

PDF

The main application that we will be using further on in the guide is Google spreadsheets

2. Why use Google docs?

Now, you may be wondering, why in the world do I need to use an online application and not just my normal spreadsheet program, or actually, why use documents at all for RuneScape? It is just a normal game to passing time, isn't it?

The answer to this is simple. If you merch, Google docs can be the best way to track all your investments! You can make extremely simple and easy calculators using simple functions that are explained below in the guide.

Google docs also offers that one unique advantage over any other spreadsheet application, the simple fact that it is online. How convenient to have the same file in front of you even when you switch computers! You can even share the file with friends and work together in real time! Gotta love the net, eh!

3. How to open Google docs?

It is the simplest thing in the whole guide! Yay!

1. Make a Google account if you don't already have one.

2. Go to www.docs.google.com

3. Click "Create new" and select what kind of document you want to make.

4. You're ready to go!

openu.png

4. What to do now [ Using the spreadsheets for RuneScape]

Alright then, you should have a spreadsheet open in front of you now. First things first, just get used to using a spreadsheet if you've never used one before :D

Simple mathematical operations

Taking cells A1 and B1

To Add:
=sum(A1,B1) [If given range; =sum(A1:B1)]
Result: A1 + B1

To subtract:
=minus(A1,b1)
Result: A1 - B1

To multiple
=multiply(A1,B1)
Result: A1 * B1

To divide:
=div(A1,B1)
Result: A1 / B1

So, now that you know how to do simple calculations using a spreadsheet, you can now go ahead and make a simple calculator for calculating basic RuneScape needs :D

Moving on, the next thing of importance is parsing values. Parsing values basically means picking up a value that exists somewhere on the net (Here: Grand exchange) and sticking it up in your spreadsheet. Although many ways exist of parsing values, I will be using the "ImportHTML" function.

The ImportHTML function:

Syntax:

=ImportHTML(" Link", Type of HTML, Where on Page) 

The following is an example of using the ImportHTML function:

=ImportHTML("http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/results.ws?query="longbow", "table", 2)  

What happened up there:

1. ImportHtml:

Takes the HTML off of the specified site.

2. http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/results.ws?query=longbow:

Above is the link (in RuneScape) where you want to search for prices that are supposed to be added in your Google doc. You should be interested in changing the item after "query=" as this is what will be searched. Remember the quotations around the link
:)

3. "Table":

This specifies what kind of HTML you are looking for in the link stated above. There are two kinds of HTML that you can use with the above formula, namely Tables and Lists. We are currently using Tables here. The formula will now search for the tables that are present in the link specified. Remember that "table" has to be within quotations
:)

4. 2:

Consider the situation here there is more than one table in the link specified! The "2" will simply go on to the second table that appears on the page. All GE prices are present in the second table, so no need to change this. Unlike everything else, "2" may not be in quotations.

Putting the above code into my Google spreadsheet, the output I get is as follows:

table1z.png

Table 1

As you can see, that is a LOT of data! Now suppose that we want to use the price for "Longbow (u) " from the above table. We can do this by using the "Index" function.

The Index function:

Syntax:

=Index(importHTML("LINK", "table",2), Row number, Column number)

Sample code:

=Index(ImportHtml("http://itemdb-rs.runescape.com/results.ws?query=longbow", "table", 2),7,3) 

The change from our previous code:

=Index( PREVIOUS CODE,7,3) 

The Index syntax explained:

1. Index:

The only function the Index code has here is to tell the rest of the function where to take the values from within the table specified by "table",2 in the ImportHTML function.

2. ,7,3:

The two numbers specify what row and column the index function should get its values from.

7 --> Row number

3 --> Column number

The row and column number are given as above because when we enter our whole formula, the output is from the column adjacent to that of the input formula, that is if you enter your formula into A1 the output would be from B1 and the Column A would remain empty. However, the output for =index would be in the same cell as that of input.

Output for the above index function:

table2h.png

Table 2

As you can see in table 1, the price of the longbow was 61 which is the same output in table 2.

The concatenate function:

Concatenate is yet another useful function in Google spreadsheets. The function is used in the event when you don't want to manually enter every item, so you simply have the code take out the item that is used with "query=" in the spreadsheet. In short, it takes the information from within a cell and inputs it in the code.

Example of code:

=Index(ImportHtml(Concatenate("http://services.runescape.com/m=itemdb_rs/results.ws?query=",B2), "table", 2),2,3)  

In the above code, instead of putting the name of item after "query=", I can simply put where in the spreadsheet the item to be searched is located. For example, longbow is found at cell B2, I can now use B2 with query. In the formula this is found at the following place:

...results.ws?query="B2),"table"…)

Output of the above code:

table3o.png

Table 3

5. Using more than one sheet

To add another sheet on your spreadsheet, simply click the "+" sign at the bottom - left corner of the screen. You can rename your sheets by right clicking the sheet and hitting rename.

addsheet.png

Suppose you want to get a value from cell A1 of sheet1 into cell A2 of sheet2, you can simply do this by using the following code in Cell A2 of sheet2.

=Sheet1!A1

connectingsheets.png

Using code in cell A2 of sheet2

You can now inter connect you sheets for an even better document!

6. Limitations:

One of the major (and probably the only) limitation of using Google spreadsheets is that it can support up to only 50 ImportHTML functions, so you have to think about how you can reduce the functions used to the maximum!

7. Examples of previously made documents:

Gunny's Fletching cost calculator:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AhkRbpMTq9mQdFZTS2ZVc1lXU3lncXJOeHRLaTFsY2c&hl=en&authkey=CKv668MP#gid=0

Tore's Farming profit calculator:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AoitbUsWI-yqdDRGd1RUMk5tWXJaU2lmdjRmdUNVZnc&hl=en#gid=0

(Please note: Above sheet is no longer valid because of scroll of life obtained from Dungeoneering and the Juju potions update.)

8. Stuff you can now do / exercises :P

Here is a brilliant guide by G01d on merchenting which is Excel based. If possible, try to convert it into an online one. It is one heck of a guide.

9. Sharing!

So, you're finally done with your spreadsheet and want to show it to the world? Google docs offers a simple way to control whom you want to share your document with! To share, simply click on SHARE on the top - right corner of your screen and email the link to the people you want. You can even publish it as a webpage if you like :)

share.png

10. Credits:

I would like to thank

-Tore for letting me use his calculator as an example and for being a complete nub.

-Slay0masor for pointing out a lot of st00f.

-Fishin for actually wanting to see this guide completed.

Guide is now 90% complete. Might add a few more things here and there

To be added:

ImportDATA function

what if parsed value is in terms of K or M

The IF statement

Rounding off

Here a few mistakes/suggestions I have for you to get you started on the right path to a good guide...Take what you want from what I have given you for options, but I hope these suggestions help you make a great guide to show off our clans awesome prowess. :D:runepick::D

PS. I tried to keep them in the order that they are found in the guide to make it easier for you to find them ";..;"

1.)Title: Change to "How to use Google Docs for Runescape" or "Google Docs and its uses while playing Runescape" or something along those lines

2.)1. What are Google docs

2. Why use Google docs puncutate them with ? marks everywhere in your guide

3.)"5. Examples of stuff made with spreadsheets": Do not use the word "stuff" in a guide there are plenty of other words to replace "stuff"

4.)"Google docs are an online freely available": Poor use of grammer consider revising to " Google docs is an easily accessible free online application that is similar to"

5.)"why use documents at all for RS?": I know everyone knows RS stands for Runescape, but it looks better to type it out as Runescape even if it makes the sentence bigger try to avoid lingo in a guide...

6.)"It is just a normal game to passing time, innit?": Again with the lingo "innit" should say "isn't it"

7.)"If you merch, it is the best way to keep track of what you buy / sell.": Should say something like "When merching in Runescape; the best(or easiest ur choice) way to keep track of your buying and selling would be Google Docs."

8.)"You can make simple easy calculators" simple/easy redundant one or the other not both so try something like "you can make simple calculators" or "you can make easy to use calculators"

9.)1. What are Google docs : content below would look nicer with bullets/numbering before each item

10.)"Google docs also offers that one unique advantage over any other spreadsheet application, the simple fact that it is online.": Poor grammer- try revising to this "Google docs also offers a unique advantage over other spreadsheet applications; the fact that it is an online application.

11.)"How convenient to have the same file in front of you even when you switch computers!": Could use revising try this version "It is very convenient to be able to share documents with multiple computers instantaneously."

12.)"You can even share the file with friends and work together in real time! Gotta love the net, eh!": "Comments are not necessarily recommended throughout a guide if they do not help explain the topic at hand... try revising to "Google Docs allows friends to work together simultaneously on the same document without leaving their individual computers."

13.)"It is the simplest thing in the whole guide! Yay!": Again with the unnecessary commentary... try this " Opening Google Docs is the easiest part:"

14.)"First you will need to make a Google email account if you don't already have one.

Next you will need to visit www.docs.google.com to get started on making your Google Docs account.

Once you have arrived at the website; click "Create new" and select the type of document you want to create. (notice i kept the same word usage throughout the sentence if you use create in the beginning of the sentence don't switch to make at the end of the sentence)

Now you're finally ready to start using Google Docs."

15.)"Alrighty": slang use plain alright

16.)"First things first, just get used to using a spreadsheet if you've never used one before": slight revision is needed first punctuation at the end of the sentence-"First things first, you will want to get comfortable using a spreadsheet before you advance to the next step in this guide."(feel free to leave smileys etc at ends of paragraphs just dont let them get excessive)

Edited by slay0masor

Whoa, that is one long analysis of a small, yet incomplete guide. I take all your suggestions in high regard, but spelling mistakes, grammar, slangs will be changed once I am done with the guide :D

Currently, I am just writing whatever comes to my mind, will fix it once I am sure I don't have anything else to add... hehe

Although, thanks a lot for going through it. <3

Although, thanks a lot for going through it. <3

No problem I just noticed it in the recent posts so I was like O i wanna read this see how its getting along and I was OMG there is alot of mistakes I'll post a few suggestions to help him get started <_<

I'll keep looking through your new parts as you add them so you might be seeing alot of comments that you planned on changing when you were done with the guide...TILL THEN LET YOUR MIND FLOW LIKE WATER OUT OF SARADOMIN'S WATER STAFF!! :wizard: :wizard:

Edited by slay0masor