USA Approves Gay Marriage

Mike P.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2015/06/26/supreme-court-affirms-constitutionality-of-gay-marriage

I for one am proud of my country for finally listening to the public.

Even though I am not gay, my sister is and I'm so glad that she can now be married by the state just as I am.

Anyone else have thoughts on the matter?

~Priest

Sadly some people just don't know when it's time to give up and let people live the lives they choose.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/conservatives-resist-gay-marriage-ruling-texas-defiant/ar-AAcccqw

In the last few years there have been stories here and there about churches or business who refused to be a part of gay marriages for religious reasons. Usually this resulted in a lawsuit and media coverage trying to force them to participate. I'm sure we will see a lot more of them soon as more and more couples try to marry. To me the lawsuits just seem pointless. Why would you want to force someone into participating? They would likely have a bad attitude, do poor work, an just make the day a royal pain for those hosting it. The couple would be better off finding people who want to be there.

~dragon~

I agree Dragon. When I saw those people refusing to provide their services for "religious" beliefs or just plain prejudice it saddened me. From a strictly business point of view, you do not want to shut anyone out. Its literally bad business. From a moral point of view, I just can't fathom being THAT prejudice.

Even though I am a cradle Catholic and do believe in my faith, I still know that times change and so do religions. I'm hoping Pope Francis will take this into consideration.

He has already said that good people are admitted to heaven, whether they believe or not, and that is a HUGE change.

He is making changes in the Catholic Church, and I'm excited for them.

#LoveWins

~Priest

When various European countries legalised same-sex weddings, Facebook didn't let you change your profile picture to a rainbow :(

I still have difficulty with "legal/civil marriage" vs "holy matrimony". Why are LGBT so intent on wanting "matrimony" when "marriage" is pretty much an equal alternative?

I'm quite cynical about this kind of thing, I know.

I am no part of the LGBT community and can only offer my unprofessional opinion.

I think its about equality still. They want to have equal rights and they just made a huge step in that direction. Old Religions have, for centuries, dismissed the gay community and their feelings and put them down, berated them, and tortured them. They repeatedly said that they will not be let into heaven for how they were born. To be out as gay, before recent times, was a bigger struggle.

So, LGBT communities want that recognition that they too can enter heaven. But a Holy Matrimony is a big deal within the Catholic Church. I know that when I got married I was expected to be married in our church, and I was. Thats how I was raised. No beach wedding for me 😊. But, some LGBT people are very religious, and so, it is a big deal that they love God so much, but can't be married in the church because they way they were born. I'm sure it is very painful for them.

I lost my train of thought.

~Priest

I've always had a little trouble with the whole church/religion thing. If your in a religion/church that preaches against certain activities then aren't you in the wrong church/religion? Instead of expecting the church and it's members to just forget what they believe in they should go find a new church that is more in line with there chosen activity/lifestyle.

~dragon~

If your in a religion/church that preaches against certain activities then aren't you in the wrong church/religion?

~dragon~

I wouldn't say "wrong" because it is a subjective term, but I would say that the church's teaching needs to be reevaluated. The thing with people is they fear change, disruption, and being alone. We are social animals and we want to belong to something. Its easier to sit idlely by and let something happen and still belong, than to speak up and be ousted.

The good thing is, at least in the recent Catholic faith is that Pope Francis is changing the doctrine it teaches ever so slightly. Instead of preaching against what we don't believe in, we are starting to just preach about what we do believe in. Therefore effectively taking out the negativity in it all.

I know many people who think us Catholics are very degrading and judgemental, but everyone I know my age is very accepting of new ideas and people.

I have always thought some things taught by our church was misleading, and I've always been one to question. Religion is a community held fast by very, very old traditions and traditions can change.

I believe, regardless of what any church says, that God loves everyone regardless of their sexual orientation or other non traditional traits. If even God can't see past that superficial thing and see the love the soul has, then how can we? That is why I think God loves everyone. He only cares about the love in your soul for your fellow earth dwellers.

~Priest

I've always had a little trouble with the whole church/religion thing. If your in a religion/church that preaches against certain activities then aren't you in the wrong church/religion? Instead of expecting the church and it's members to just forget what they believe in they should go find a new church that is more in line with there chosen activity/lifestyle.

~dragon~

There's the nicer/better way of saying what I thought. Thank you Dragon!

Rofl. That is bad, but so punny!

I saw this on the news the other day.

http://exministries.tv/millionaire-gay-couple-sues-to-force-church-wedding/

I'm kinda torn between what to think. On one hand, they want to be married in the church (I am not sure if they are of that faith). On the other, they gave 0 time for churchs to debate on the issue within themselves.

Idk. What do ya'll think?

~Priest

Not quite church ethics to sue someone to force their hand is it? So not very Christian, as the expression goes.

Suing is purely done out of egocentric interest, most often money and being a pain in society. Disallow suing! Examples:

You ordered a coffee. OF COURSE IT'S HOT!
Did you attend biology and physics classes? WELL THAT'S WHY YOUR CAT DIED IN THE MICROWAVE!

Rant over.

Rofl. That is bad, but so punny!

I saw this on the news the other day.

http://exministries.tv/millionaire-gay-couple-sues-to-force-church-wedding/

I'm kinda torn between what to think. On one hand, they want to be married in the church (I am not sure if they are of that faith). On the other, they gave 0 time for churchs to debate on the issue within themselves.

Idk. What do ya'll think?

~Priest

I think this falls into what I said before about business and churches not wanting to participate and them finding a new church. Eventually people will smarten up about this. If you sue your own church, win or lose, you will most likely no longer have many/any friends left inside the church(think Amish shunning).

On a side note is a church wedding really all that important? Don't a lot of people marry in other more scenic places now(beach in Hawaii, mountain resort, ect..)?

~dragon~

I will be happy/ unhappy once someone tells me how it affects me personally.

Until then... apathy.

It affects you personally because you've posted in this thread and therefore devoted time to thinking about how it affects you.

It affects you personally because you've posted in this thread and therefore devoted time to thinking about how it affects you.

I've thought about the classification of Pluto as a planet or just an icy rock floating in space. It still doesn't change my life.